The 3D Printer Policy establishes the guidelines, approved by the Edwardsville Public Library Board of Trustees, for patrons to utilize the 3D printer. The Edwardsville Public Library 3D printer is available for printing projects for Edwardsville resident cardholders. The printer is to be used at staff discretion for limited quantity, non-commercial purposes to make three-dimensional objects from a digital model utilizing a design that is uploaded from a Stereo Lithography (STL) format computer file.
- The 3D printer may be used for lawful purposes only. The public will not be permitted to use the Library’s 3D printer to create objects that are:
- Prohibited by state or federal law.
- In violation of another’s intellectual property rights. For example, the printer will not be used to reproduce material that is subject to
copyright, patent, or trademark protection.
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous, or pose an immediate threat to the well-being of others; for example, guns, knives, or other possible lethal weapons or weapon accessories.
- Obscene or otherwise inappropriate for the Library environment.
- The Edwardsville Public Library reserves the right to refuse any 3D print request.
- Non-commercial use of the 3D printer is at the discretion of designated library staff, and quantities will be limited.
- Supervision of the use of the 3D printer by Library staff does not constitute knowledge or acknowledgement of any unapparent final use of the 3D product and the Library specifically disclaims any knowledge thereof.
- Only designated Library staff will have hands-on access to the 3D printer.
- Items printed from the Library’s 3D printer that are not picked up within 14 days will become the property of the Library. Items must be picked up by the individual who printed them.
- Acknowledgement by patrons utilizing the Library’s 3D printer:
- By submitting content or objects, the patron agrees to assume all responsibility for, and shall hold the Library harmless in, all matters related to patented, trademarked, or copyrighted materials.
- The Edwardsville Public Library is not responsible for any damage, loss, or security of data arising from the use of its computers or network, nor for the functionality or quality of content produced on the 3D printer.
Approved by the Edwardsville Public Library Board of Trustees
Revised by the Edwardsville Public Library Board of Trustees
3D Printer File Submission Guidelines
- This service is currently only available to Edwardsville Public Library cardholders
- All models will be printed by EPL staff members.
- Models will be printed on a first come first served basis that is contingent upon staff and printer availability
- We estimate that printing time will take 1-2 weeks. The length of time is not guaranteed.
- 3D Prints will cost .30 cents per gram of filament used plus $1.00.
- Files must be submitted in .stl format
- Your .stl file must be reviewed and approved by an EPL staff member before it can be printed.
- Print size cannot exceed 230 x 225 x 205 mm
- Print time cannot exceed 7 hours
- We can only accept one file per patron at a time. Patrons must wait until they have picked up their finished print before they can submit another file.
- Prints must be picked up within 14 days or a fee will be added to your library account.
- Items must be picked up by the individual who printed them.
- The library is not responsible for failed prints. We will make every effort to assist in the success of 3D printed items.
Please fill out the form below and submit the file you would like printed.Submission Form