All ages are invited to join the Read Woke challenge! Choose and read diverse books from 10 different categories for adults, teens, and children. This is an ongoing challenge, so start it at any time and complete it at your own pace. Register now on Beanstack, and read more about it below.
If you have created a Beanstack account for one of our previous challenges, you do not need to do so again. Simply log in to your account to register for a new challenge.
What is Read Woke?
“Read Woke is a movement. It is a feeling. It is a style. It is a form of education. It is a call to action; it is our right as lifelong learners. It means arming yourself with knowledge in order to better protect your rights. Knowledge is power and no one can take it away. It means learning about others so that you can treat people with the respect and dignity that they deserve no matter their religion, race, creed, or color.
I concluded that a Woke Book must:
• Challenge a social norm
• Give voice to the voiceless
• Provide information about a group that has been disenfranchised
• Seek to challenge the status quo
• Have a protagonist from an underrepresented or oppressed group."
– Cicely Lewis, creator of Read Woke
How the Challenge Works
Discover diverse books, log activities, and READ WOKE.
- Visit our Beanstack website. Click the "register" button if you need to create an account, or click the "sign in" button to access your existing account.
- Alternatively, use the Beanstack Tracker App on your phone or other mobile device (apple | android) to create, sign in, and manage your account.
- Within one account, you can set up and manage reader profiles for all of your family members!
- Register for the challenge. It is open for all ages!
- This challenge uses Activity Badges.
- Click on a badge and follow the instructions to choose a book to read using the recommended reading lists, which are linked in each category.
- Share what you learned after reading the book in the text space, and check off the boxes to log your activity.
- Keep reading through all 10 categories, and see your badges appear in color!
- Log the books you read to keep track of them on your profile.
- Encourage others to take on the challenge, too!
If you have trouble setting up or accessing your account, or have any other questions, please contact us any time at 618-692-7556 or by email.